18 March 2011

“I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone's expectations.” - Bill Watterson

Fairy Tales...

But when the witch bent down to peer inside the oven and check the heat, Gretel gave her a tremendous push and slammed the oven door shut. The witch had come to a fit and proper end

Poor witch living alone in her cottage in the middle of the woods when these two little hoodlums come by and start destroying it with their gluttonous hunger.  She was just protecting what was hers right? :)  Imagine that... being female, single and childless...it must be the most horrible thing in the world.  Especially when you get to the poor witchy poos age.

More Fairy Tales...


Barren, Spinster, Old Maid.....bless.  Words you don't hear very often but yet society still views women of a certain age in this light.  I was told recently that it is OK (read: acceptable) to be a man in his mid-thirties, that is single, sexually active and non-committed but to be a woman in the same position well....now that's another story.  Slut, tramp, loose.


Reality...


My mum used to say 'you have one life, you live, you die, you become worm food'. I was brought up quite rightly believing that you had to make the most of this one life you had been given.  There was no after-life, no do overs. My gender was never an issue in these conversations, I was never told that I couldn't do something, be someone great because I was a woman.  Now constantly I get reminded by society of the expectations it has of me.  I bought into this for a while, it depressed me.  I have been told by male and female friends alike that I need to be more submissive, less assertive, let men chase and persue, play the game, be more coy...yawn.  I have been asked if I am a dissapointment to my parents because I'm not married and haven't given them grandchildren. 


I was always have been abundantly aware of how fast life goes, it really does zoom by and I have always felt I didn't have enough time to do, see, taste, feel, learn everything I wanted. I have a good job, I pay rent, bills am responsible (mostly ;))I worked pretty much full time while completing a degree, I have travelled around the world alone.  My life thus far has been pretty amazing and I don't think my parents are dissapointed.  Why is society more focussed on my 'failure as a woman' and not my success as a human being.  Why is it odd/unacceptable to be a woman at this age and to be single, childless and openly comfortable with my need for sex that is not attached to intimacy?

I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone's expectations.... and the higher I keep mine....well it is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment