24 February 2011

Protect me from what I want.- Jenny Holzer

Saw this postcard --------------->

on the weekend at the Whitechapel Gallery  went I went to see an exhibition of John Stezaker's work.  Whitechapel Gallery was fab and really enjoyed Stezaker's art also love exploring yet another area of London I haven't had much experience with.

This postcard by Jenny Holzer is part of her 'Truisms' exhibition and I just love her work.  This particular phrase has been used nicely(appropriated)in Placebo lyrics.

Protect me from what I want?

Do we really want to be protected from what our heart desires, our self absorption our indulgences?

One of my favourites quotes by William Blake is 'Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained'.  

I don't want to restrain my desire.

I never wanted to one of those people who looked back and thought I wish I had of touched, seen, eaten, smelt, held, kissed that or been there....I didn't want to have regrets about missed opportunities, experiences or journeys. 

I don't believe anything is out of my reach.

That country I haven't been to, that goal I haven't yet achieved, those people who I am illogically infatuated with after only one meeting.  Time, distance, money is no issue to me.  There are no barriers.  Barriers (excuses) are made in fear of failure, I would rather fail than not have tried. Although, if you protect me from my desires then I won't potentially have to face defeat, loss, embarrassment and heartache.
Protect me from what I want, please?

We don't always know what's best for us, we have addictions, weaknesses.  We humans are indulgent creatures.
We are selfish and self-absorbed.

Drugs, alcohol, food, complacency and lust.

What we want is not always what we need, what is right for us.
We ask opinions that we don't listen to, advice that we don't take and stay in situations that make us unhappy.  We beg for support and help then don't take it when it's offered.  We create dramas that we can play the lead role in, drag our friends in for bit parts, then wonder why they get pissed off at the constant re-runs.

Don't protect me from what I want..

....if you do, how else will I learn my lesson? 




No comments:

Post a Comment