17 November 2010

You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need

Why do we always want what we can't have?

Or is it just me?
That unobtainable thing, person, situation....

We could argue it's human nature but I know quite a lot of folk that are very content... or seem to be anyway.  

I have never been truly satisfied, even at my most happiest moments.  Always knowing there is a place out there I haven't visited, something I haven't seen, a person I haven't met/forced to be friends with me/or bewitched ;)(with my obvious and extreme cuteness and acerbic wit).  

A constant restlessness to travel, experience and consume life, or am I just buying into Weber's Protestant work ethic?

...but it's more than this for me. 

It's not just about working hard and getting what I want in life, it's social, spiritual (in a non-religious way)it's a sense that I just don't have enough time to achieve everything I want, do all I want to do, see the world, learn enough, do enough, experience enough.  For me it's all just going too quickly, life is speeding by.  I have that feeling constantly and continuously that you get when you return from a holiday and you think 'damn where did those two weeks go?'

As I'm writing this I can think of at least 20 things off the top of my head that I want to achieve, places I want to travel to, experiences I want to have.

I feel arrogant in addition to this, like I am better than those contented folk that never strive for more, who don't seek out change searching for new and rich experiences, almost frightened of it.

Sure, I have have my content moments but I do relish a good challenge, maybe this is what it is about for me....I detest boredom and mediocrity.

What do we always want what we can't have?  Oscar would argue:

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it,
and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to
itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and
unlawful."
- Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Go Oscar...but we live in civil society, with rules and regulations and taught very early on 'you can't always get what you want'....

....you let your soul grow sick with longing I am yielding, I am going to get what I want, just try and stop me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment